Today we picked up a job that was in a particularly difficult spot. The job was to remove a stile and replace it with a hunting gate that was sprung to auto-close with a standard latch.
We headed out to site and spoke with the land owner who explained that the fields we would have to cover to get to the stile where very wet and he would only attempt getting there using his Argocat 8 wheel ATV. We made our way back to the yard and moved all the tools into the Kawasaki Mule as this would be able to get us closer than the Land Rover.
Once back on site, the land owner took us down to the bridleway in his Argocat to show us what the ground was like. It was very marshy and the final track was very wet indeed and even the Argocat struggled to get through.
We decided to drive down in the Mule as close as we could get and then carry the tools, gate and posts in to the location.
We took the opportunity to look at other methods of accessing the stile and found there was another way in using an adjoining field, this was much drier and we were able to drive the Mule right down to the location and begin work.
Another hole is drilled at the bottom of the post and a second hanger fitted there, the bottom strap is fitted using a single bolt and then the gate is hung on the post.
A second hole is dug for the falling post (post the gate closes against) and this is checked to make sure it is in the right place before being firmed in using the iron bar.
The furniture is added to the gate, making sure the hasp used to latch the gate shut is on the LOWER part of the staple so it does not slip round and end up the wrong way up to close the gate.
Then the spring is fitted to the inside edge of the gate, this is done using a staple on the gate and then tapping a nail in just a little to check the spring is going to work before securing permanently with a staple.